On behalf of Governor Patrick and the entire Patrick-Murray Administration, my thoughts and deepest condolences go out to the families affected by this horrible crime, and to all the people of Connecticut in this time of loss. As a parent, first and foremost, I can only begin to imagine the horror and tremendous suffering this senseless act of violence has caused. Our hearts break for those children whose lives have been cut short and for their families and loved ones who are left behind. We stand in support of all those affected, and are ready to assist in any way we can.
We know that difficult news like this can be hard to make sense of and even harder to explain to a young child. Below are a few resources that may help you when having conversations with your children about this difficult and tragic situation.
- Talking with Kids About News - PBS
- Tips for Talking to Children about Difficult News - American Psychological Association
- Helping Children with Scary News - PBS Parents
- How To Talk To Kids About Tragedies In The Media - Child Development Institute
- Helping Children Cope with Tragedy Related Anxiety - Mental Health America